Can I be a volunteer?
We have over 200 volunteers involved in all aspects of creating the GNE, and would always love more who wish to contribute to the community.
If you would like to be one of them, give your name to any of the people wearing the blue GNE jackets when you are at the fair,
pop in to the office to leave your name, give us a call at 444-0308 ( but not during the Fair, please ) or email Glenda.
There's lots of room for more help, skills and ideas.
Rewards of Volunteering
How much time do I need to give in my volunteer work?
- Make new friends
- Mix with people from different cultures and age groups
- Feel part of a workforce
- Improve self confidence
- Practice communication and language skills
- Enhance 'life' experience......and so much more
Before you volunteer, please take a moment to consider:
- You can work as little as a few hours a month or a couple of hours each week. It's up to you.
- Of course we realise that you will need to take time out for holidays, family and other commitments.
- All we ask is that you give timely notice of planned leave, notice of unexpected unavailability as soon as you can, and that you are regular and committed when you are available.
- Why you want to volunteer
- Your health and energy level. Please don’t commit yourself to a job you might find difficult
- Your personal attributes, likes and dislikes
- Do you want to work inside or outside, on short term projects independently or would you prefer to be part of a team working with other volunteers on regular services and programs?
- The needs of your family and the demands of any other responsibilities - avoid promising time which you do not have
- The days and times that you are available and whether you want a regular job or a temporary one
- The skills and experience which you have to offer
- The type of work which you really enjoy and the people you would like to work with ...
- Volunteering does not mean hard labour - yet it is what you make of it.
Our volunteers do a wide variety of activities in a way which benefits the community.
To chat about how you and the GNE can have fun together, call our Volunteer Co-ordinator, Glenda Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org
Here are some of our current and past volunteers . . .